Regiment of foot of Essex’s Army raised by Lord Saye and Sele but led by Meldrum until he was sent North and replaced by Aldrich. Entered the New Model Army under Col Lloyd
The blue coated regiment was raised in the summer of 1642, by Lord Saye and Sele, a powerful politician and wealthy landowner, to fight for the cause of parliament. Drawing mainly from his power base in and around Broughton Castle in Oxfordshire, he appointed experienced and prominent officers, including Captain Lieutenant John Rainsford, the author of “The Young Soldier” drill manual.
In September 1642, he handed over the command of the regiment of Colonel Sir John Meldrum and as part of Meldrums brigade the regiment acquitted itself well at the battle of Edgehill. The regiment remained under Meldrum until 1643 when it was passed on to Colonel John Aldridge. Aldridge led the regiment through the 1644 campaigns in the West Country, including the Parliamentarian defeat at Lostwithiel in Cornwall, where the “Blew colours” were witness to the Parliamentarian surrender on the 2nd of September 1644.